Translate

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Divine Possession

She entered the temple, with a lot of difficulties, and as soon as she stepped in, something rushed into her body, within seconds she lost herself, there was something else in her body, a different soul, it felt like she was possessed.

Never before had she felt this way. Her day used to start with completing the chores at her house, and then walking to the town, to help other women with their chores. she was a helper, or rather we can call her a maid. She was 19 years old, and cleaned the house, washed the clothes and the utensils for nine different families. She had studied till 5th standard, was a smart girl, but due poverty couldn't study further, and to forget she was a girl, so she had to learn to compromise and work hard, both at the same time.

That particular day, like every other day, she walked to the town after completing the daily chores at her own house with her mother. suddenly she started feeling uneasy, it was the ninth day, 'Navami', the last day of Navaratri, the next day will be Dusshera, the victory of good over evil. As soon as the mother of the house opened the door, she fell on her feet, and pleaded to be taken to the temple, some temple, she did not know which temple, but she felt the urge to go to the temple. Out of humanity, and knowing the girl for more than 5 years now, they took her to the temple.

She entered the temple, and it rushed into her. Yes, she was possessed. Possessed with the divine power. I was right there witnessing it. I had always heard about this phenomenon, but like most of the researchers and psychologists say, it is a disorder, I thought the same, I always thought to myself, it was a drama. But here it was right in front of me. She was possessed. My mother, was happy, 'This is lucky' she said. 'We got the darshan of devi, in person'. I wasn't listening to her. I kept looking at that young girl. The pain in her eyes. The anger in her actions. She looked true, she wasn't acting, that wasn't drama. She was dancing, crying, yelling, rolling on the floor. She was in so much pain, she wanted to say something, she wanted something, women around kept asking her, but she kept crying, kept yelling, I could not stop myself and went and held her. It was scary, it was a very small temple, with so many things lying around.

I looked into her eyes, so much remorse, so much pain, and suddenly someone walked, did something, I don't know what, I kept looking into her eyes, and she was back, back in her self. She wasn't anymore a Goddess, She was the same girl, who will have to get back to her life the next day.

She was possessed, and that wasn't a drama, it was for real. I don't know what possessed her, but something did. I tried talking to her later, but she wouldn't speak, she sat in a corner of the temple, lost in her thoughts. The same girl was getting all the attention just minutes back, and now she sat in a corner, alone, no-one to even offer her a glass of water.

No comments: